Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Marathon


We sit here wasting away like mangoes on rotten trees. If someone were to ask you what is your purpose in life, what would you say? For me, all I can muster is a, “I live… to keep living.” But isn’t there something more? Back in high school I thought, OH HO! I have figured it all out, you tricky bastards running the universe. Life is like a race. You work hard to get from check point to checkpoint, and you have these goals in mind… but really all you’re doing is running. Life is a marathon, and the finish line is death.

That’s why people are religious. So they can believe in something greater then themselves, because really what is more depressing than seeing life as one long, exhausting race? Even in races, there are people on the sidelines, offering you tiny Dixie cups of water; but in life, there are rarely handouts, and you definitely can’t count on them to keep you going.

But I’m not feeling particularly negative about life right now. No, I’d say it’s pretty good. But just… doesn’t it suck when sometimes you just need a little time to catch your breath, but you know the moment you do, all the other races will run right past? There’s a reason why people call it the “rat race,” and we are all just rats.

2 comments:

Kevin Lam said...

Well it depends how you look at a race. Some could see it as physically exhausting, and they usually poop out early on.

Others see a marathon as just a big challenge. If you can pace yourself well, you'll glide through those miles as long as you're determined enough to push yourself forward. It's also not so much a dwindling down of strength, but rather the opposite. A race can make you stronger, even as you run it. The greater the distance you've traveled, the more reason for you to continue, to see just how far you can run.

Yeah, I like running.

kiweesplash said...

touche! you're what we call and optimist =)

The Aura of:

My photo
I tend to get obsessive about things for a while, then get over it, and start to wonder what was wrong with me in the first place. Also, having no section for "Favorite TV Shows" makes absolutely no sense to me. That should tell you a lot right there.